Thank you to all of our candidates for running!
We had a great Northside DFA meeting Monday night with special guest speakers 32nd Ward Alderman Scott Waguespack and Chicago Reader Reporter Ben Joravsky. We also voted overwhelmingly to endorse Forrest Claypool for Cook County Tax Assessor.
Want to jump right in? Sign up for updates from Forrest's campaign at:
Unfortunately you can't donate to Forrest on our Northside DFA Act Blue Page, but you can donate at the first link above and you can donate to our other candidates at:
Also on Monday night I announced my plans to step down as chair of Northside Democracy for America. It has been a joy to serve since our founding five and a half years ago but it is time for me to take a break, to allow new leadership for NDFA to emerge, and to explore the possibility of other political and non-political opportunities for myself.
We will have an election for a new chair at the August meeting. Any NDFA voting member is eligible to run for chair and so far we have one declared candidate -- former NDFA adopted candidate Ed Mullen. The deadline for voting members to nominate themselves for chair is this coming Monday, July 19th so we will know then if there will be additional candidates. In order to be elected the candidate must get over 50% of the vote, and the transfer of power will happen at the August meeting. I intend to stay involved with the group as a member and will assist with the transition as long as needed.
There are far too many people to thank for all that Northside DFA has become and all that we have done -- I couldn't have done any of it without all of you. I will do my best to thank you all over the next month. If you would like to thank me one great way to do that would be to be a benefactor, sponsor, host or ticket buyer for our upcoming Northside DFA fundraiser. (And yes, I am exploiting my resignation to raise money for the group -- what can I say, I have learned a few things over the years!) I expect the work of Northside DFA to be even more amazing over the next five years, and I certainly don't plan to leave the new chair with an empty bank account, so please buy your ticket or make a donation at the link below:
NDFA 5TH ANNIVERSARY "SMALL CHANGE FOR BIG CHANGE" FUNDRAISER
- Northside Democracy for America and Rose Angelis Restaurant
- Monday, July 26, 2010 from 6:30 - 9:30 PM
- 1314 W. Wrightwood, Chicago
- $1,000 Benefactor $ 500 Sponsor $ 250 Host $ 50 Individual Ticket. Buy your tickets or make a donation at:
or send a check payable to Northside Democracy for America c/o Barry Aldridge, Treasurer,
3500 North Lakewood Ave, Chicago, IL 60657.
- The evening will include delicious appetizers from Rose Angelis Restaurant, cash bar, silent auction and awards. We will also be offering a selection of wines to taste throughout the evening, a portion of every bottle purchased will go directly to Northside Democracy for America.
- Premiums: Hosts receive 4 tickets and acknowledgment at the event, Sponsors receive 6 tickets, special mention and are featured on the event signage, Benefactors receive 8 tickets, special mention and will be prominently featured on the event signage.
P.S. Our NDFA endorsed candidate Mariyana Spryopoulos is having a fundraiser this Thursday, July 15 from 6pm to 8pm at the rooftop at Pegasus's Restaurant, 130 S. Halsted. Tickets are $100. For more information and to RSVP contact 312-456-8005. Remember attending fundraisers for our endorsed candidates counts towards voting membership; just report your attendance to firstname.lastname@example.org.